One Day. David Nicholls

One Day - David Nicholls There will be cloaked spoilers in this review but, to be honest, by this time you have either read this book already or have no intention of reading it. And as I said, the spoilers are cloaked.I won’t pretend that I didn’t enjoy this book. The ‘one day every year’ approach worked in the same way a decent soap opera would if you ended up watching every 50th episode just to check on the main characters, see what they have been up to. It’s quite satisfying and comforting watching their constant progress and regress. This is normal, we can say to ourselves, you don’t have to have your life figured out, just take it one day at a time.The story was a little formulaic, the dialogues were witty and the characters were made to please the reader by being almost three-dimensional, yet staying within the line. It was pleasant sailing all up until the moment the author went and spoilt it all by turning into that schmuck Nicholas Sparks. This is not what you do. We had a certain reader-author agreement! If the author needs to do this sort of thing in his book in some failed attempt to elicit emotional response or to add depth to his otherwise rather shallow novel, then this author gets two stars from me for those cheap, below the belt tricks. I absolutely lost all interest in this book then and almost skimmed to the end.